Braised Beef Cheddar Sliders
With tender braised beef short ribs, rich Cracker Barrel Old White Cheddar and pickled red onion, these tasty sliders can be served as a main dish or as appetizers.
- 2 lb (1 kg) boneless beef short ribs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 mL) sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 12 brioche slider buns, split and toasted
- 5 oz (146 g) Cracker Barrel Old White Cheddar Block, sliced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Dijonnaise
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Pat short ribs dry with paper towel; season with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of the salt, and pepper. Melt oil in Dutch oven or ovenproof high-sided skillet set over medium heat; cook short ribs for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to plate.
- In same pan, cook shallots, garlic, thyme and rosemary; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Sprinkle flour over top; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in broth, vinegar and brown sugar; bring to boil, whisking constantly. Return short ribs to pan.
- Cover and bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove meat from pan; let cool slightly. Shred with 2 forks; return to pan. Simmer over low heat.
- Meanwhile, stir together red onions, cider vinegar, sugar and remaining salt. Let stand for 20 to 30 minutes or until onions are lightly pickled. Drain well.
- Assemble beef in buns with Cheddar, pickled red onions and Dijonnaise.
For homemade Dijonnaise, whisk together 1/2 cup (125 mL) mayonnaise and 1/4 cup (60 mL) Dijon mustard.
Garnish sliders with arugula if desired.