- 1 Cracker Barrel Smoked Cheddar Block (340 g)
- 1 cup (250 mL) cornmeal
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced green onions, divided
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Grease 12 cups of muffin pan.
- Cut twelve 1 1/4-inch (3 cm) cubes from Cheddar block. Reserve remaining cheese for Step 7.
- In large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, Cajun seasoning, baking soda, salt and pepper until well combined.
- In medium bowl, whisk together egg and buttermilk until blended. Whisk in butter.
- Stir egg mixture into cornmeal mixture just until moistened. Fold in jalapeño, corn and 1/4 cup (60 mL) green onion.
- Scoop about half the batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about half full. Press a Cheddar cube into centre of each. Spoon remaining batter over top to cover Cheddar.
- Shred remaining Cheddar. Sprinkle remaining green onions and Cheddar on top of each.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and tops spring back when lightly pressed. Let muffins cool on baking sheet on wire rack for 10 minutes before serving warm, or serve at room temperature.
Drizzle with hot honey butter if desired. For hot honey butter, in small bowl, stir together softened butter and hot sauce to taste.