With flaky phyllo pastry, these cheese and spinach Greek turnovers are loaded with lots of fresh herbs and accented with lemon zest.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pkg (10 oz/300 g) baby spinach
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 pkg (320 g) Cracker Barrel Mediterranean Medley Blends, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly grated lemon zest
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, melted
- Into large skillet set over medium heat, add oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Let cool completely.
- Squeeze out any excess moisture from spinach mixture and transfer to large bowl. Stir in eggs, half the cheese, parsley, dill, mint and lemon zest.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Work with 1 sheet phyllo pastry at a time and keep remaining sheets covered with clean damp cloth. Lay 1 sheet phyllo on work surface with a long side closest to you; brush lightly with butter. Top with 1 sheet phyllo; brush lightly with butter. Cut across length of phyllo sheet stack into 4 sections, each about 4 inches (10 cm).
- Place 2 tbsp (30 mL) spinach filling in one corner of a section. Using your fingers, shape it into an approximate triangle that almost flanks 2 edges. Top each with 1 tbsp (15 mL) cheese. Fold the filling corner over to form a triangle, enclosing filling. Continue to fold up phyllo strip in triangle pattern, like folding up a flag. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets, more butter and remaining spinach filling to make a total of 12 turnovers. Transfer to parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Lightly brush tops with more butter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Substitute melted butter with olive oil if preferred.