Fajita Philly Cheesesteaks
This spiced-up cheesesteak makes the best hot lunch sandwich. It’s so tasty you’ll have it for dinner too!
- 8 oz (250 g) of a Cracker Barrel Monterey Jack bar, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, halved, seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 8 oz (250 g) roast beef slices
- 4 submarine sandwich buns, split
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) guacamole
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced tomatoes
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet set over medium heat; cook onion, red pepper, jalapeños, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper for 3 to 5 minutes or until veggies start to soften. Add roast beef; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Preheat broiler to high. Place buns on parchment paper–lined baking sheet; divide roast beef and veggies among buns. Top with cheese; broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
- Garnish with guacamole and tomatoes before serving.
Substitute chicken for roast beef slices.