- 2 cups (500 mL) Cracker Barrel Tex Mex Shred
- 1 lb (500 g) chicken tenders
- 2 cups (500 mL) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) buffalo hot sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp (20 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) onion powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- Canola oil, for frying
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded lettuce
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pickle slices
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ranch dressing
- Toss together chicken, buttermilk, hot sauce, and 1 tsp (5 mL) salt; stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, chili powder, cayenne, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and remaining salt; set aside.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk marinade; shake off excess. Dredge chicken tenders in flour mixture until well coated. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour enough oil into high-sided skillet to come 2 inches (5 cm) up side; heat over medium heat until instant-read thermometer reads 350°F (180°C).
- Fry chicken, turning once, for 5 to 8 minutes or until juices run clear and instant-read thermometer inserted in centre of chicken registers 165°F (74°C). Place on paper towel—lined tray.
Adjust the hot sauce and the cayenne pepper to suit your preferred spice level.
Alternatively, substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) fingers for chicken tenders.