- 2 cups (500 mL) Cracker Barrel 3 Cheese Mexicana Shredded Cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) strained puréed tomatoes (passata)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 24 asparagus spears, trimmed and blanched (about 1 1/2 bunches)
- 1 can (540 mL) refried beans
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. Whisk together tomatoes, tomato paste, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper; spread half of the sauce in bottom of prepared pan.
- Place 3 spears asparagus, 1/4 cup (60 mL) beans and 2 tbsp (30 mL) cheese in centre of each tortilla. Roll up tightly and place seam-side down in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until tortillas are lightly browned and filling is heated through. Sprinkle with green onions.
Substitute shredded chicken for refried beans if desired.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
Warming the tortillas will keep them pliable and help prevent cracking, so that they’re easier to roll.
If asparagus is pencil-thin, use 4 spears per tortilla if desired.