- 1 cup (250 mL) cherry tomatoes
- 4 tsp (20 mL) olive oil
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tsp (10 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 4 Cracker Barrel Natural Slices – Marble
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) caramelized onions
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crispy
- 2 dill pickles, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) baby arugula
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Toss tomatoes with oil, salt and pepper. Transfer tomatoes to small baking dish. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tomatoes are tender and start to blister. Let cool slightly.
- Make your own caramelized onions: Melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter in a large heavy-bottomed pan set over medium-low heat. Add 1 large sliced onion and a pinch each of salt, pepper and sugar. Cook onions for 5 to 8 minutes or until start to soften. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring regularly, for 20 to 30 minutes or until onions are dark golden brown and caramelized. Cool and store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Evenly spread butter on the outside of each piece of bread. Flip and spread mayonnaise and mustard on the insides. Top 2 pieces of bread with a slice of cheese each. Layer on roasted tomatoes, caramelized onions, bacon, pickles slices, arugula and another cheese slice. Cap with remaining bread.
- Heat large skillet set over medium-low heat. Cook sandwiches for 3 to 5 minutes per side, pressing sandwich flat with spatula, until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.
Alternatively, preheat panini press according to manufacturer’s instructions. Grill sandwiches in press for 3 to 5 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.
For easy preparation, used fire-roasted canned or jarred tomatoes.