Pandesal, a traditional Filipino sweet bun filled with savoury Cracker Barrel cheese goodness. This dish can be enjoyed mid-morning or mid-afternoon.
- 2-3 cups shredded Cracker Barrel Tex Mex cheese
- 4 cups flour
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (90F-100F)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- Combine 1/4 cup of water warmed to 90F-100F (too hot & you will kill the yeast) & 1 tsp of sugar. Sugar will help activate the yeast. Allow to stand for 10 minutes till frothy.
- Combine milk, eggs, melted butter & sugar into a stand mixer with a dough hook.
- Add yeast mixture
- Add 2 cups of flour and combine at low-med speed, gradually adding the remaining flour.
- Allow the stand mixer to do the most of the kneading for about 5-10 minutes.
- Lightly coat the dough ball with oil and cover with cling wrap in a mixing bowl. Allow to rise for 1 hour.
- On a floured work surface divide the dough into two. Each piece should make about 10-12 buns. Shape into balls, flatten with the palm of your hand and fill with 1-2 tbsp of shredded cheese. Fold the dough over and pinch it closed. Form it again into a ball, roll in the breadcrumbs coating all sides and place on a sheet pan pinched side down. Repeat process until all buns are shaped and filled.
- Cover again and allow to rise again for 1 hour.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Serve hot!