Double Cheddar Jalapeño Breakfast Waffles
These savoury waffles will spice up your morning and are a tasty brunch too.
- 2 cups (500 mL) waffle and pancake mix
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) Cracker Barrel Shreds – Double Cheddar, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pickled jalapeño peppers
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato salsa
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) guacamole
- Prepare waffle batter with milk, eggs and oil according to package directions (or prepare waffle batter following package directions to make 6 waffles). Fold 1 cup (250 mL) Cheddar and pickled jalapeños into batter; set aside.
- Preheat waffle maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Ladle or pour enough batter into waffle iron to cover about two-thirds of the grid surface. Close lid; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until steam stops emerging from waffle iron and waffles are golden brown and crisp.
- Top waffles with black beans, salsa and guacamole. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Add a fried egg on top if desired.
Serve with lime wedges, a drizzle of sour cream and sprinkle of cilantro.