German-Inspired Croque Monsieur
With a fusion of French and German flavours, this ham and cheese sandwich is a delight in every bite.
- 6 slices Cracker Barrel Swiss Slices, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grainy Dijon mustard
- 4 thick slices white bread
- 2 slices Black Forest ham
- 1 dill pickle, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sauerkraut
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, softened
- Preheat broiler. Spread mustard over 2 slices of bread; top each with slice of cheese, ham, pickle slices, sauerkraut and another cheese slice. Cap with remaining bread slices.
- Melt butter in large skillet set over medium heat; cook sandwiches for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown and toasted.
- Top each sandwich with remaining cheese slice. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
Substitute rye bread for white bread if desired.
Sprinkle chives or parsley over sandwiches before serving if desired.