Bacon & Grilled Onion Mac & Cheese
Crispy bacon and charred onions team up to give this easy-to-make mac and cheese casserole its signature flavour. The fact that our Bacon-and-Grilled Onion Mac and Cheese can be prepped to place in the oven in just 30 minutes makes it a perfect recipe to add to your repertoire.
- 3 cups scoobi doo pasta, uncooked
- 6 green onions, trimmed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, divided
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups Cracker Barrel Shredded Double Cheddar Cheese
- HEAT oven to 400ºF.
- COOK pasta in large saucepan as directed on package, omitting salt. Meanwhile, spray grill pan with cooking spray; heat on medium heat. Add onions; drizzle with oil. Cook 4 to 5 min. or until onions are lightly charred, turning after 3 min. Transfer onions to cutting board; chop onions.
- COOK and stir bacon in medium saucepan until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with slotted spoon, reserving drippings in pan; drain bacon on paper towels. Add flour to reserved drippings; cook and stir 1 min. Gradually stir in milk; cook 3 to 5 min. or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add 1-1/2 cups cheese, onions and half the bacon; mix well.
- DRAIN pasta; return to pan. Add cheese sauce; mix lightly. Spoon into 1.5-L casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray; top with remaining cheese and bacon.
- BAKE 20 min. or until heated through.
Serve this creamy one-of-a-kind pasta bake with a crisp green salad tossed with your favourite dressing.