Crispy and Creamy Mac and Cheese
This delicious Crispy and Creamy Mac and Cheese is true home-style comfort food – a homemade mac and cheese that’s creamy on the inside and crispy on the outside. The crunchy top of this simple mac and cheese is enhanced with a sprinkling of crushed potato chips and crisply cooked bacon, making every bite a creamy and crispy flavourful experience. With only 20 minutes of prep time before you pop this mac and cheese casserole in the oven, how can you go wrong? This recipe is the perfect addition to a holiday meal, a potluck, a Sunday dinner, or just a cozy evening in.
- 3 macaroni, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups Cracker Barrel Shredded Mozza-Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 3 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 1/2 cup lightly crushed potato chips
- HEAT oven to 375°F.
- COOK pasta as directed on package, omitting salt.
- MEANWHILE, melt butter in large saucepan on medium heat. Add onions; cook 3 min. or until crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Add flour; cook and stir 1 min. Gradually stir in milk; cook 5 min., stirring constantly. Simmer on low heat 10 min. or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add 2 cups cheese; stir until melted.
- DRAIN pasta. Add to cheese sauce; stir until evenly coated. Spoon into 2-L casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray; top with remaining cheese, bacon and crushed chips.
- BAKE 25 min. or until heated through.
Prepare using Cracker Barrel Shredded Old Cheddar Cheese.
Serve with a crisp green salad tossed with your favourite dressing.