- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Cracker Barrel Medium Cheddar White Block, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt and pepper
- 6 cups (1.5 L) day-old cubed baguette
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) store-bought caramelized onions
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease 9-inch (23 cm) square baking dish.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, thyme, parsley, chives, mustard, salt and pepper; fold in cubed bread, 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese, and caramelized onions. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes or until bread absorbs most of the liquid.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and dot with butter. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until puffed, golden and set. Serve warm.
Add cooked sausage or crispy bacon if desired.
Bake in individual ramekins for personal-size puddings.
To make your own caramelized onions: Melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter in a large heavy-bottom pan set over medium heat; cook 2 sliced large onions and a pinch each of salt, pepper and sugar for 5 to 8 minutes or until slightly softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring often, for 20 to 30 minutes or until onions are dark golden brown and caramelized. Let cool. (Can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.)