- 4 spring onions
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 lb (500 g) potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) Cracker Barrel 4 Cheese Italiano Shredded Cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 bottle (750 mL) Peller Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio, for pairing (drink responsibly)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Slice spring onions, separating white and light green parts; set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) of butter in large skillet set over medium heat. Stir in white parts of spring onions, thyme and garlic; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Sprinkle flour over top; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in cream; bring to boil, whisking constantly. Season with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Stir in half of the reserved light green parts of onions, and chives.
- Layer one-third of the potatoes, overlapping slightly, in greased 9-inch (23 cm) square baking dish. Top with pinch of the remaining salt and pepper, 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cheese, and half each of the sauce and bacon. Repeat layers once.
- Layer remaining potatoes over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, salt and pepper; press lightly to distribute sauce evenly throughout layers. Dot with remaining butter.
- Cover tightly with foil; bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown, juices are thickened and bubbling, and potatoes are tender. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with remaining light green parts of onions.
- Pair gratin with Peller Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio.
Alternatively, assemble gratin in 2 1/2 quart (2 1/2 L) oval or round baking dish.
Spring onions are also known as green onions or scallions.