- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Cracker Barrel Jalapeño Cheddar Cheese Block, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 large jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt, pepper and ground cumin
- 1 can (800 mL) fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 4 slices day-old bread, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pickled sliced jalapeño peppers
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter in large saucepan set over medium heat; cook onion, carrots, jalapeño, garlic, chili powder, salt, pepper and cumin for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Using hand blender, purée until smooth. Reduce heat to low. Whisk in cream; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through. Whisk in half of the cheese. Remove from heat, stirring until melted.
- Preheat broiler. Spread remaining butter over toast; set aside. Divide soup among 4 heatproof crocks or bowls. Top with buttered toast and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Broil until cheese melts. Garnish with pickled jalapeños and cilantro.
Use sourdough, egg bread or Italian-style bread slices.
Substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth if desired.