4-Cheese Italiano Cheese Timballo
Perfect for celebrating, this show-stopping pasta dish will win lots of oohs and aahs when it’s sliced. For quick prep, use jarred basil pesto.
- 2 pkg (320 g each) Cracker Barrel 4 Cheese Italiano Shredded Cheese
- 8 oz (250 g) rigatoni
- 3 cups (750 mL) tomato sauce, divided
- 2 oz (60 g) chopped Genoa salami
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- Pinch red chili flakes
- 1 lb (500 g) Italian sausages, cooked and sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) basil pesto
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) pizza dough
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Toss together pasta, 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) tomato sauce, salami, basil, oregano and chili flakes.
Let cool completely.
Stir in 1 pkg cheese; set aside.
Toss sausages with pesto; set aside.
- On lightly floured work surface, roll out pizza dough into 16-inch (40 cm) round, about 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick.
Fit into greased 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan, letting excess dough overhang edge.
- Sprinkle 1 cup (250 mL) remaining cheese over dough.
Top with half of the pasta mixture.
Sprinkle with 1 cup (250 mL) cheese; top evenly with sausage mixture.
Top with remaining pasta mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Fold dough overhang in toward centre of pan to create decorative edge.
Brush top of dough with olive oil.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.
Let cool for 20 minutes (if too hot, it will be hard to slice.)
Carefully remove sides of springform pan.
Heat remaining tomato sauce.
Slice timballo; serve with warmed tomato sauce.
Substitute penne for rigatoni if desired.