Cheesy Stuffed Shells
These double-Cheddar stuffed shells with spinach make a comforting baked pasta dish that will definitely please.
- 2 cups (500 mL) Cracker Barrel Double Cheddar Light Shreds, divided
- 1 pkg (8 oz) jumbo pasta shells
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 oz (150 g) spinach
- 8 oz (250 g) ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh basil, divided
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Cook pasta shells according to package directions; let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until wilted. Let cool completely. Squeeze to remove any excess moisture; chop finely.
- Stir together ricotta, half of the Cheddar cheese, spinach mixture, parsley, salt and pepper until well combined; set aside.
- Stir together tomato sauce and half of the basil. Spread half of the sauce in greased 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking dish. Divide spinach and cheese filling evenly among cooked shells. Arrange in prepared baking dish. Spoon remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining Cheddar cheese.
- Cover with foil; bake for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown, bubbling and filling is heated through. Sprinkle with remaining basil.
As a variation, substitute prepared store-bought Alfredo sauce for the tomato sauce.