Grilled Tomato Bruschetta
Give classic bruschetta a summertime upgrade with juicy, flavourful grilled tomatoes for a must-have snack at your summer barbecues.
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) red pepper flakes
- 4 slices country bread
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Cracker Barrel 4 Cheese Italiano Light Shreds
- PREHEAT grill to medium-high.
- TOSS tomatoes with 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil; grill, flipping halfway, for 6 to 8 minutes or until tomatoes are softened and charred. Let cool slightly before chopping.
- COMBINE tomatoes, garlic, parsley, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- BRUSH slices of bread with remaining olive oil; grill for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Flip over; top evenly with cheese. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with tomato mixture.
For an additional kick, chop a small grilled, seeded jalapeño pepper and add it to the tomato mixture.